OCD Help Chat 
Anonymous175998
Anonymous163633
It's scary because I know that acting on these urges would destroy me and my entire life and sometimes I do get anxiety but other times I just compulsively avoid out of concern
Believe me when I say I know how you feel. It is all ocd and you are overthinking (obsessively thinking). Feelings are what this disorder is all about. You are not going to act on these urges, however I cannot convince you of that no matter what I say, there will ALWAYS be another "what if" thought. You must make the decision and put your foot down to stop taking ocd thought seriously.
Anonymous163633
Anonymous175998
Believe me when I say I know how you feel. It is all ocd and you are overthinking (obsessively thinking). Feelings are what this disorder is all about. You are not going to act on these urges, however I cannot convince you of that no matter what I say, there will ALWAYS be another "what if" thought. You must make the decision and put your foot down to stop taking ocd thought seriously.
Even without anxiety?
Anonymous175998
Anonymous163633
Even without anxiety?
The fact that you are on here asking means that you have anxiety/fear of the thoughts. It's ocd
Anonymous163633
Anonymous175998
The fact that you are on here asking means that you have anxiety/fear of the thoughts. It's ocd
Yeah but I'm so used to the thoughts that I don't fear them anymore. I just don't want them to be real.
Anonymous163633
Anonymous163633
Yeah but I'm so used to the thoughts that I don't fear them anymore. I just don't want them to be real.
When this first started, I had high anxiety. Really high. It was clearly OCD at the start. I would do physical compulsions, rumination, reassurance, all of it. It SCREAMED OCD
Anonymous163633
Anonymous163633
When this first started, I had high anxiety. Really high. It was clearly OCD at the start. I would do physical compulsions, rumination, reassurance, all of it. It SCREAMED OCD
But then I started to do recovery work. I started to have setbacks but with less anxiety each time until it fully went away. Even with the thoughts. In servere cases, I do still experience high anxiety but only to certain thoughts/sitations
Anonymous163633
Anonymous163633
But then I started to do recovery work. I started to have setbacks but with less anxiety each time until it fully went away. Even with the thoughts. In servere cases, I do still experience high anxiety but only to certain thoughts/sitations
The thoughts go down when I don't ruminate. Is it the rumination that's powering the thoughts up maybe? Even without the anxiety?
Anonymous176316 i’m scared because i visualise that i did something wrong in the past. i’m not completely sure whether it’s true or not or if it is a false memory ocd.
Anonymous175998
Anonymous163633
The thoughts go down when I don't ruminate. Is it the rumination that's powering the thoughts up maybe? Even without the anxiety?
It is absolutely the rumination. Ali has so many videos about it, you cannot get out of pure o without stopping the rumination. Track and reduce. Simple but difficult but absolutely necessary.
Anonymous176376 can someone help pelase
Anonymous163633
Anonymous175998
It is absolutely the rumination. Ali has so many videos about it, you cannot get out of pure o without stopping the rumination. Track and reduce. Simple but difficult but absolutely necessary.
I know from past experience with recovery that the thoughts go down after ruminating. But I've been in situations since then and my thoughts have gotten worse and it's harder to disregard. Even though I know it's probably worth doing so
Anonymous176376 i’m scared because i visualise that i did something wrong in the past. i’m not completely sure whether it’s true or not or if it is a false memory ocd.
Anonymous163633
Anonymous176376
i’m scared because i visualise that i did something wrong in the past. i’m not completely sure whether it’s true or not or if it is a false memory ocd.
This sounds like OCD. The amount of worry and anxiety you appear to be feeling proves that fact. Have you watched Ali's videos on False Memory OCD?
Anonymous176376 yes i did makes sense nowsmile
Anonymous176376 have you been through false memory ocd if you don’t mind me asking
Anonymous163633
Anonymous176376
yes i did makes sense nowsmile
You have to try to start disregarding. This same thought is going to come in again. You have to disregard next time and this will eventually go away
Anonymous176376 so just like ignore it do you mea
Anonymous176376 mean
Anonymous163633
Anonymous176376
mean
Yes but don't push it away. View it like a screaming neighbour outside. Let it be there, but you don't care
Anonymous176376 okay
Anonymous163633 I'm confused. When I'm doing ERP such as just looking in the general direction of children, watching a video with a child in it. I get an urge to look at the child. But if I don't look at the child, it's avoidance, right? So when I reluctantly look, my brain tells me I've ''acted'' on an urge. How do I handle this?
Anonymous176410 can i recover from OCD with myself without medicine treatment?
Anonymous163633
Anonymous176410
can i recover from OCD with myself without medicine treatment?
Yes you can
Seamstress
Anonymous163633
I'm confused. When I'm doing ERP such as just looking in the general direction of children, watching a video with a child in it. I get an urge to look at the child. But if I don't look at the child, it's avoidance, right? So when I reluctantly look, my brain tells me I've ''acted'' on an urge. How do I handle this?
I believe that is what ERP is all about. Doing what most people without OCD would do such as looking at a child but not responding with rumination or avoidance or compulsions. Don't pay attention to what your brain is telling you.
Anonymous163633
Seamstress
I believe that is what ERP is all about. Doing what most people without OCD would do such as looking at a child but not responding with rumination or avoidance or compulsions. Don't pay attention to what your brain is telling you.
My OCD sends me urges left and right. Anything to do with the theme. So even if I'm technically ''acting'' on this urge to look, is it still ERP?
Seamstress
Anonymous163633
My OCD sends me urges left and right. Anything to do with the theme. So even if I'm technically ''acting'' on this urge to look, is it still ERP?
Sorry, I am not really sure. Maybe someone else can answer your question.
LadyA Does anyone else feel like the longer you have pocd(or any ocd theme) the more it's likely to be true? Like you feel like you're forgetting who you were before this happened?You're losing yourself and who you were before this? I'm so scared tbh.
LadyA Does anyone else feel like the longer you have pocd(or any ocd theme) the more it's likely to be true? Like you feel like you're forgetting who you were before this happened?You're losing yourself and who you were before this? I'm so scared tbh.
charlibilson https://www.google.com <a href="https://www.google.com">nice</a> [url=www.google.com]BB KING[/url] keyword
Anonymous176488 @LADYA YES
Anonymous176488 The thoughts get so bad sometimes I will tell myself to avoid harming my loved one Id rather just kill myself
Anonymous176488 I have harm ocd and memory loss ocd
Seamstress
Anonymous176488
I have harm ocd and memory loss ocd
Hang in there. I know it is difficult - suffered many years - but if you follow Ali's videos and advice it will get better.
Anonymous176518 Guy I just can’t stop my hacking ocd habit I have and it causes alittle blood in my mucus at times It is driving me mentally crazy and scaring me,anytime I see any blood I freak out I have been to 3 ent’s and my primary care physician as the er and they all say there is nothing wrong and it’s self induced But my mind thinks there is something wrong I am going crazy here.
Anonymous176532 Job searching isn't just about applying for jobs and hoping to get called for an interview anymore. The future is going to offer jobs only to those who have better thinking and knowledge whether you are fresher or experienced. Discover valuable Freshers Jobs search advice and industry insights that will help you sharpen your job search skills and learn what Jobs Near Me For Freshers and employers
Anonymous176532 https://freshers.jobs/
Anonymous176555
Anonymous176532
Job searching isn't just about applying for jobs and hoping to get called for an interview anymore. The future is going to offer jobs only to those who have better thinking and knowledge whether you are fresher or experienced. Discover valuable Freshers Jobs search advice and industry insights that will help you sharpen your job search skills and learn what Jobs Near Me For Freshers and employers
Don't listen to this bot. The only work available in the very near future will be as one of Klaus Schwab's robot polishers. The rest of us will be surplus to requirement.
LadyA
Anonymous176488
The thoughts get so bad sometimes I will tell myself to avoid harming my loved one Id rather just kill myself
Sometimes I feel the same way, like it all just gets too much.
Anonymous176615 Hi there. I am having a terrible time with my thoughts and I’m wondering if anyone else has been through anything similar. I always had a very close relationship with my family and would have said I loved them very much without question. However, I’ve been having thoughts that maybe I don’t love or care about my family, or anyone for that matter, but am only concerned with how they serve me.
Anonymous176615
Anonymous176615
Hi there. I am having a terrible time with my thoughts and I’m wondering if anyone else has been through anything similar. I always had a very close relationship with my family and would have said I loved them very much without question. However, I’ve been having thoughts that maybe I don’t love or care about my family, or anyone for that matter, but am only concerned with how they serve me.
I’m absolutely plagued by this. I’m concerned that I don’t genuinely love or care about my family. I do have OCD but I don’t know if this is OCD or if it’s real. Please help!
Seamstress
Anonymous176615
I’m absolutely plagued by this. I’m concerned that I don’t genuinely love or care about my family. I do have OCD but I don’t know if this is OCD or if it’s real. Please help!
OCD always attacks the areas that mean the most to us. The fact that these thoughts bother you is a good indication that it is OCD. If you didn't love or care about others than you wouldn't be concerned about the thoughts. Accept that these thoughts are a symptom of OCD and don't pay any attention to them..
Anonymous176615
Seamstress
OCD always attacks the areas that mean the most to us. The fact that these thoughts bother you is a good indication that it is OCD. If you didn't love or care about others than you wouldn't be concerned about the thoughts. Accept that these thoughts are a symptom of OCD and don't pay any attention to them..
Thank you for replying. It’s so hard. I’m so worried that I don’t genuinely care about other people but only care about what they can do for me (provide support, company etc).
Anonymous176615
Anonymous176615
Thank you for replying. It’s so hard. I’m so worried that I don’t genuinely care about other people but only care about what they can do for me (provide support, company etc).
And even being worried about that feels selfish because I’m worrying because I want to be a decent, normal person (ie I’m worrying for selfish reasons)
Seamstress
Anonymous176615
And even being worried about that feels selfish because I’m worrying because I want to be a decent, normal person (ie I’m worrying for selfish reasons)
Right now you are ruminating and it will only get worse unless you stop paying attention to the thoughts - thoughts are spiraling from one concern to another.
Anonymous176615
Seamstress
Right now you are ruminating and it will only get worse unless you stop paying attention to the thoughts - thoughts are spiraling from one concern to another.
Thank you. I’m almost afraid to stop ruminating and just accept the thought (do ERP) incase it turns out that the thoughts are true. I don’t know how I would cope with that.
Seamstress
Anonymous176615
Thank you. I’m almost afraid to stop ruminating and just accept the thought (do ERP) incase it turns out that the thoughts are true. I don’t know how I would cope with that.
By accepting the thought you don't accept that it is true, you just accept that it is an OCD thought. If you don't power up the OCD thoughts they will eventually lessen. Difficult I know, but the only way.
Anonymous176615
Seamstress
By accepting the thought you don't accept that it is true, you just accept that it is an OCD thought. If you don't power up the OCD thoughts they will eventually lessen. Difficult I know, but the only way.
Yeah but what if it’s not OCD 😖
Seamstress
Anonymous176615
Yeah but what if it’s not OCD 😖
Everyone with OCD asks that question I believe because it feels so real. Perhaps watch one of Ali's videos about OCD feeling real.
Anonymous176615
Seamstress
Everyone with OCD asks that question I believe because it feels so real. Perhaps watch one of Ali's videos about OCD feeling real.
Thank you for replying to me ❤️
Anonymous163633 Just wanted to give fellow sufferers a bit of motivation today! You can do this! Don't listen to what OCD is telling you!
Customize

Re:Covid

I have been doing a lot better, but I still have a lot of fear around getting or giving others Covid-19 and I know this is a real life event. It is difficult as we do have to be careful, but I wonder if I go to the extreme re: fear of packages delivered etc. How do I distinguish what is OCD speaking and what is actually being a responsible person? I recognize googling is not good for me to do. Do I just do the best that I can and live my life knowing that I can never be 100% certain about anything.

Also, when anxious I question my husband as to his behaviours around Covid as well which causes stress in our marriage, but I want to make sure he is being responsible to ease my anxiety - even though I know he is a responsible person.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks. I still believe that it is a serious problem and we have to obey all of the rules - I am in Canada, but I am doing better as I know we can never have absolute certainty. You are right. We know more about the virus now, but I choose to still be careful but not go overboard which I realize OCD latched unto. 

Helmut Schmacker has reacted to this post.
Helmut Schmacker